Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Kabul Embassy contd.

I couldn't finish my thoughts in my previous post, so i'll just try to put down the few remaining thoughts that I have on this issue.

Its not that my concerns rise after this tragedy, the fact is that Indians working in Afghanistan have been targetted much more frequently in the recent past than before. Our construction workers and engineers have been kidnapped and a few murdered, but I think that really didn't spur our government to do anything. Heck, if an attack on the Parliament and blasts in Jaipur and Mumbai can't make these politicians grow some spine, then what are the innocent citizens in Afghanistan!

Maybe such a high profile assassination, with a clear intent, according to me, will actually prompt the government to relook at our policy in the country. I don't mean in the way of pulling out or cutting down on any commitment, but the fact that we really can't have only our civilians working there with the constant threat to their lives, and the present level of forces there are very, very inadequate. I read a news report that the US Army is the one that first cordoned off the area and was part of the investigation.

The fact is that maybe this bombing will force this incompetent government to maybe sit down and see where this nation is heading in terms of its ability to protect itself from armed aggression both within and without the country. For too long have our governments been quiet on terrorism and other acts against the state for fear of hurting the sentiments of our minorities and other groups. It is indirectly saying that our Muslims (as is the most common case) support traitors and enemies of the state. I really don't know who the UPA government is trying to impress with its pusillanimity. Maybe its calculated, I don't know, but hopefully the people will realize we need stronger decision makers at the helm before we really lose out on this opportunity to be a strong nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!