Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Following up...

In my last post, I had said that I was, and were a lot of other people, eagerly awaiting the details of the outcome of the meeting between Mamata and Buddhadeb. Apparently, some sort of 'agreement' had been reached, and media channels had reported, and I had quoted one of them, some of the key points of the agreement, like returning a part of the land, I am still not sure the one that is under dispute or some other, and Mamata stopping the harrassment of Tata workers.

It turns out that the Tata's aren't happy at all with the way things have turned out, and the situation is back to being an impasse. Apparently I was mistaken in believing that a solution could be reached with only one meeting between the parties. I think the one meeting probably gave them the opportunity to exchange notes and get warmed up for finding a way out.

The Tatas have said that they do not want the government to disturb the autocluster in any way, but I hear conflicting reports that this is what the two parties had agreed to at Raj Bhawan.

I am reading today's Hindu, and it quotes the Industries Minister, Sanjay Nirupam, as saying some sort of 'final'deal has been signed.

The West Bengal government should not take any steps that will disturb the arrangement that ensures the integral nature of the auto-cluster, consisting of the mother plant and the vendor park, in the upcoming Tata Motors project site at Singur, company managing director Ravi Kant said on Tuesday in a letter to Industries Minister Nirupam Sen.

This was in reply to a letter by Mr. Sen to Mr. Kant on Monday that clarified the government’s position following the previous day’s talks with Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and her associates on providing land to the “unwilling” farmers whose plots were acquired for the Tata Motors’ project.

“We would like to be clearly told about any future arrangements, understandings or commitments that will go contrary to the agreement, and which will result in not honouring the commitments [made to the Tata Motors earlier],” the letter said.

Amid this development, Ms. Banerjee reiterated that the agreement signed on Sunday in the presence of Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi “is final.”

She said:

“In it the government has decided to give maximum land [to the land-losers from whom plots had been forcibly acquired] from the project area and the rest from that adjacent to it [the project site].”

“It is a policy decision made before the Governor, which cannot be violated. We have no confusion on the matter. Both sides are signatories to the agreement.”

I think this is another great example of extremely inept political maneuvering by Indian politicians. They usually get themselves into a corner because of their focus on rhetoric that it leaves very little room for a solution that doesn't turn into a zero-sum game. Of course, considering that it is their Rs. 1500 crores and their employees, the Tatas are completely justified about voicing their concern for being shortchanged by the government. Already it seems to me that the two parties have already decided in their minds what outcome they will fight for, and will leave overlook mutual interest for the sake of their position. So, it seems the situation is back to square one.

I had this thought that cropped up in my head about heading to the city and actually try to be a part of this whole hoopla. This situation is being followed all over the world, and I am very, very curious and eager to experience the mood on the street. I know where the Raj Bhawan is, and I know I will see groups from both parties and a lot of media there. Perhaps I could simply linger around without getting into trouble and just try to get a grip of whats going on. Of course, an IIMC shirt would be necessary to give me some legitimacy and respect. Hmm, I should consider this, because I think this statemate will probably linger for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!