Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Happy Diwali!

Yesteday was Diwali. Its the day that marks the end of the year in the Indian calender, it was Vikram Samvat 2064, and marks the beginning of the Hindu new year. This is a very auspicious day for all, other than business schools I think, because for most of us, it is another day to reinforce the importance of hard work and education. I had two exams before the day, and three exams after the auspicious day. There will be plenty of opportunities to celebrate in our lives, but those were not yesterday.

That is not to say I am a disappointed wreck. I had lots of fun, a great dinner, took part in a Puja and burst firecrackers. Studying for the exams? Hmm, now that you mention it.............

Diwali is what turns around our market, with every trader praying to Lakshmi ji for her blessings. Of course, the run up to this Diwali has been brutal, and we could really use some divine intervention to sooth our wounded sentiments.

I was on the rooftop of the rooftop, a beautiful place on top of my hostel which commands the best view of campus and the best breeze on a beautiful evening, and taking in the scenery. There were rockets lighting the late evening sky all around me, and the bursts coming in from every direction, in every intensity. It was bright, noisy, and I hadn't felt such exhilaration in a very long time. You know, there are a lot of things about my country, my system and my society that frustrate me, and I too am giving to whining and bitching about anything and everything at times, but last night, sitting on top of my perch, everything seemed perfect. We really are a great nation with great traditions. In our pursuit of a lifestyle of others, let us never forget who we are and where we are coming from. The joy, the enthusiasm, the brightness and the sounds reminded me of all that, and I felt content. Its good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!