Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Year Day!

Its been three weeks since I've written anything here, and a very long three weeks they seem. Of course, in three weeks, the entire current affairs of the world changes, but many things do manage to remain the same as well.

Yesterday was the last day of polling in Uttar Pradesh, and now we will see who comes up on top in the most backward, but politically most important state of the country. Lots and lots of analysis and predictions are doing the round, but perhaps one thing is certain that the CON mafia isn't going to win it, and this assumes significance because the Gandhi family had been campaigning there as if their lives depended on it. Maybe they do, but most likely they don't.

Anyways, so the murmurs of a neck to neck race between the cycle and the elephant, and the dirty hand of the CON mafia will probably come third, and in the rear will be the other national party, the BJP. The CON mafia's trump card has got to be the talk of Muslim reservation within the 27.5% OBC reservation quota, which actually isn't that big a polarizing factor for many Muslims apparently. the Samajwadi Party is another party that has promised no stone unturned to give the Muslims of the state a new deal. CON mafia came up with the quota promise, and SP, through Akhilesh Yadav, says that they will support the party, but they should raise the quota promised to 18%. Of course, India's most eligible middle-aged bachelor, Rahul Gandhi, says that SP should stop these shenanigans and stop trying to steal their thunder.

Ha ha, we've all heard this before, and I did get a feeling that the Muslims of UP also echoed similar sentiments this time. First, why does the entire Muslim community need to vote en bloc, why do politicians believe that is the case when it has been shown that it isn't, and have the issues of development, education and health become bigger matters of concern for the Muslims than religion and minority politics? Actually, why just the Muslims? When will these issues actually start mattering more to the people of this country?

Coming out of these big games that politicians play, lots of other things have been going on in my personal front as well. I am happy to announce that I am out of the finance industry for now! I was thinking yesterday that I have tried so hard to move ahead in the finance domain because that's where the money is, or so is everybody made to believe in the IIMs, but I am beginning to realize that maybe I just won't be able to be good in it because its just not in me. When people discuss models and valuations and all that jazz, i just quieten up! So now I am in an area that is very new in the country, and has a lot of potential, and the best part is that it is mainly to do with the environment, which is something I am glad I finally made a greater part of my life professionally. So my new work is busy, but good busy, and feels nice to finally be in a situation where I don't have my boss breathing down my neck all the time.

So happy March everybody. This is the year when I turn 30, so its a big month! I'm getting old, I think I need to now get into second gear on most of the plans I have for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome!